Liverpool Music, Entertainment History & Film Locations
Liverpool filming and music history a half day private or group tour exploring the architecture and docks and seeing how they are now being used to create Hollywood film locations. Your local guide will bring your day to life and you will also learn how the music of the Merseybeat era in the 1960's made its mark and how its legacy has helped to create the UK's most vibrant city outside of London.
Beatles & Harry Potter
Liverpool's historical docks and Georgian architecture means that it can easily recreate locations worldwide at at significantly less cost than for example closing a road in London or Paris. Liverpool's filming industry is booming with recent films Sherlock, Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows, Fantastic Beasts, Florence Foster Jenkins & the new autobiography of Lord of the Rings author JRR Tolkien starring Nicholas Hoult & Lily Collins. It also has a long history of UK programmes for example Peaky Blinders, Foyles War, Bread, the Liver Birds & Film Starts Don't Die in Liverpool.
During this tour your fun knowledgeable local guide will explain why and how Liverpool has changed starting of course with the Merseybeat era bringing the story of the Fab4, Cilla Black, Ken Dodd, Gerry Marsden through the 70's music and the early films in Liverpool for example A letter to Brezhnev or The 51st State.
Art & Theatre in Great Urban Streets
You will walk along award winning Hope Street with its everyman theatre the place were people like the late great Pete Postlethwaite and Julie Walters have inspired others and you be amazed by the number of Hollywood film locations in Liverpool for example Baker Street in the Sherlock Holmes film directed by Guy Ritchie. Tunnel entrances, magnificent halls and of course a tour of this magnificent city
There will be several opportunities to get off to take photos and there are some short walking sections which enable us to reach things that you would otherwise not be able to reach on the coach.
The future of filming looks bright in Liverpool with proposals to create its own Hollywood themed studios at the former Art Deco buildings used by Littlewoods. This fun themed tour is a great choice for your group and your guide will give you lots of ideas and you will have free time after the tour to enjoy the rest of our city.
“A Hollywood inspired tour in the footsteps of the Beatles”
All guests will be given a free map of Liverpool City Centre
Suggested timings - Half Day tour (these can be amended to suit your arrival time)
- Start – We can either meet your coach at the Rocket Pub at the end of the M62 motorway (postcode L14 3PA) or on route from the M56 motorway at Dobbies Garden Centre, Speke (L24 1UX).
- 10.30am Guided tour on your coach including music to see outside of Brian Epstein (the Beatles manager’s) house, Paul and John’s childhood homes and Strawberry Field Gates.
- 11.30am Enjoy tea and biscuits during our visit to Penny Lane Development Centre with its yellow mini submarine which was used at the premiere of the film Help in 1968 and have your photo taken in front of the famous Penny Lane road sign.
- 12.15pm Beatles and Filming locations tour of Liverpool City centre including Falkner Street in Liverpool’s Georgian Quarter which doubled up as Baker Street in the Hollywood version of Sherlock Holmes, The Art Deco Mersey Tunnel entrance which was used for a motorcycle and side car chase in Harry Potter, St Georges Hall which is the only UK non studio location for the 2017 Harry Potter film, Peaky Blinder and Foyles War locations and 1980’s and 70’s Bread and the Liver Birds.
- 13.00 Visit to Museum of Liverpool with its music and entertainment exhibits including the fabulous 8-minute panoramic film of the Beatles time in Liverpool.
- 14.00 The tour finishes outside the Cavern Club after a short walk down Mathew Street, after which you can spend the rest of your day at leisure. (please note there is no disabled access to the Cavern which has around 30 steps at the entrance)
This is a group tour in your own coach or MPV or you can book suitable transport from us as an extra at checkout.
There are lots of ways that you could extend this tour and for example you can book a visit to the British Museum of Popular Music (the BME) or a Radio City Tower Tour & you can even book a group lunch as an extra at checkout.
- Half day’s tour guiding
- Tea and biscuits
- Museum of Liverpool
Price - from £250 as a private tour or for a group of up to 15 - includes refreshments.
We can tailor this and any of our tours to suit the interests of your group. Tours can also be combined to create an exciting and bespoke holiday using a quality hotel in Liverpool City Centre with excursions out to explore a wider part of North West England and North Wales.